The Healthier Masculinities Program was created to engage men and masculine-identified people in sexual violence prevention and to foster a culture of healthier masculinities on the UBC campus. We take a multi-pronged approach to this mandate, hosting informal discussions, free educational programs, outreach materials, events, and more. To accomplish this, we’re looking for volunteers with diverse skills and experiences to help engage our community.
This position is open to all students. We especially encourage men and masculine-identified students to apply!
Healthier Masculinities volunteers are expected to commit to at least 6 hours per month, including a 1.5-2 hour meeting on the first Tuesday of each month. Volunteers will also sign up for one committee described in the document below, which will specialize in one area of our operations. Volunteers will also be expected to do one boothing shift per month, and be available for our training on the evening of Friday, September 21st and 11-4 on Saturday and Sunday (Sept 22nd and 23rd).
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
- Current UBC student
- Passionate about changing campus culture and sexual assault prevention
- Willing to learn more about sexual assault, consent and how they intersect with gender in our university
- Keen on raising awareness on campus about sexual assault
- Comfortable working within a team
- Can commit to all training sessions, meetings, and educational opportunities
- Empathetic, non-judgmental and anti-oppressive
- Education and training on leadership, anti-oppression, sexual assault, consent and a wide variety of other topics
- Meeting and volunteering with like-minded peers who are also interested in raising awareness about gender and sexualized violence
- Team building and self-care activities
- Meals provided at volunteer training and meetings
- Volunteer appreciation event
- A letter of reference upon successful completion of the SASC volunteer requirements, provided at the discretion of your supervisor
- Attendance at all of our volunteer meetings and volunteer training opportunities
- Contribute a minimum of 6 hours per month towards outreach (monthly meetings count as 2 hours)
- Active collaboration in planning and facilitating outreach and events, including “Let’s Talk: Masculinity” Open Houses and tabling
- Optional opportunities to co-facilitate workshops on masculinity and consent at UBC
If you are under 19, please have a guardian fill out our Liability Form before your interview.
Please submit your completed application form and your current resume through the application form linked above by 11:59PM, Sept 10th, 2018 – we look forward to hearing from you!